OUHSC Information Technology Department

Home  |  Online Help  |  Policies  |  Forms  |  Tier Ones
powered by

Safeguard Your Personal Information

Accidentally sharing your personal information with strangers can result in identity theft and cost you time, money, and the loss of your good credit rating. So think twice before handing out your personal information, and help ensure your good name belongs only to you.

if you think your personal information has been stolen

  • File a report with OUPD and obtain a copy of this report or the report number.
  • Notify one of the three credit reporting agencies to put in place a FRAUD ALERT.
  • File a report with the Federal Trade Commission. You can reach them at 1-877-IDTHEFT.
  • Notify your financial institutions. Think about opening new accounts with unique Personal Identification Numbers and passwords.

Responding to Possible Identity Theft: Tips for the OU Family

Any unauthorized access of personal information may place you at risk for identity theft. The information provided below is intended to assist concerned individuals in reducing the possibility of identity theft and to advise on appropriate steps to take to protect yourself.

As a preliminary step, you should consider contacting the fraud departments of each of the three major credit bureaus in the United States. If they have credit information about you in their files, which at least one of these bureaus will likely have if you have ever applied for credit in the United States, you can request that a "fraud alert" be placed in your file. You may also request that a statement be entered in your account informing potential creditors that no "pre-approved" credit applications should be sent out in your name. You may also ask their fraud departments to place a statement that asks all creditors to call you before opening any new accounts or changing any existing accounts.

You should check your credit reports with these bureaus on an annual basis. If you plan to place a fraud alert on your credit file, you only need to contact one credit bureau and they will contact the other two with your information. Be prepared to give them information such as your current address, your last address (if you moved within the last 2 years), your social security number, phone numbers (work and home), etc. Each agency will mail you a copy of your personal credit report within 6 to 8 business days.

The credit bureau fraud departments are listed below. Users need to contact only one of the three national credit bureaus to activate a fraud alert. The bureaus notify each about new fraud alerts.

Experian's National Consumer Assistance
P.O. Box 1017
Allen, TX 75013
Phone: 888-397-3742

Equifax Credit Information Services
Consumer Fraud Division
P.O. Box 105069
Atlanta, GA 30348
Phone: 800-525-6285

Fraud Victim Assistance Department
P.O. Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92834
Phone: 800-680-7289
Fax: 714-447-6034

For information on the Oklahoma Security Freeze Process, please visit: http://www.experian.com/consumer/help/states/ok.html

You should close or suspend any accounts you know or believe have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.

Contact the Office of the Oklahoma Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division. You may download a complaint form at the following website: http://www.oag.state.ok.us. If you do not have access to a computer, you may call the following numbers for a complaint form and other assistance: (405) 521-3921 (OKC), (918) 581-2885 (Tulsa).

If you believe your Social Security Number has been used illegally, you may contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) at www.ssa.gov, and you should call the SSA Fraud Hotline at (800) 269-0271. You should also periodically contact the SSA at (800) 772-1213 to verify the accuracy of the earnings reported on your SSN, and you may request a copy of your Social Security Statement. Additionally, these other SSA resources are available on the Internet:

SSA Fraud Hotline for Reporting Fraud - http://www.ssa.gov/oig/guidelin.htm

Social Security: Your Number and Card (SSA Pub. No. 05-10002) -http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html

When Someone Misuses Your Number (SSA Pub. No. 05-10064) - http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10064.html

Additionally, you may file a complaint with the FTC by contacting the FTC's Identity Theft Hotline. Their toll-free telephone is 1-877-IDTHEFT (438-4338) or by direct dial (202) 326-2502. You can also access their web site at: ­www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/. Ask for a copy of ID Theft: When Bad Things Happen to Your Good Name. This is a free comprehensive consumer guide to help you guard against and recover from identity theft. You may also write to the FTC at:

Identity Theft Clearinghouse
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580

This information is derived from undated TRIWEST information on identity theft.

U.S. Dept. of Justice - Identity Theft and Fraud

Federal Trade Commission - Facts for Consumers
"ID Theft: When Bad Things Happen to Your Good Name"

Social Security Administration - Identity Theft

Privacy Rights Clearinghouse - Identity Theft Resources

Fight Identity Theft

CNN Headline News - HotWired
"Tackling Identity Theft"

View the video here.